How to take care of your tattoo
- Remove initial bandage in 1 hour.
- WASH with warm water and Dial Gold antibacterial soap. Pat it dry gently with a lint free towel or let it air dry.
- When the tattoo is completely dry, apply a layer of Aquaphor ointment, re-bandage (ceran wrap), and wear throughout the night.
- Repeat these steps by washing and re-bandaging your tattoo throughout the day. Basically every 3 to 4 hours (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Bed). This will be slightly uncomfortable but is very necessary in helping the tattoo heal.
- After 2 days of washing and bandaging switch to an unscented lotion (Aveeno). You can stop moisturizing when the skin seems back to normal.
- Your tattoo will begin to peel and flake after about 5 days.
- Do NOT pick at your tattoo; let it heal in its own time.
- No soaking! It is fine to get it wet and wash it in the shower, but no hot tubs, pools, etc. (Basically NO submerging it under water)
- Do NOT exercise or sweat until your tattoo is fully healed; seat can cause infection and has the potential to damage your tattoo.
- After your tattoo is fully healed; apply liberal amounts of sun block every time you go outside.
- You have been tattooed in a professional studio. It is up to you to make sure your tattoo heals properly by following these instructions.
It is common to have slight discomfort, redness and/ or warmth after a tattoo. It is possible to use a cool compress over the saran wrap to reduce swelling. It is okay to use ibuprofen or anti-inflammatory drugs to reduce the pain or swelling. (See the label for dosage and frequency)
These are basic guidelines and in no way do they supersede seeing a professional doctor if your symptoms are worse than described above.
You can download the aftercare PDF here.